CSOs recognized by governments as an important societal factor with strong capacity to implement peace-building and reconciliation Agenda in the WB and Turkey and contributes to security and stability of the region in the process of EU integration.
PROJECT DURATION: 4 YEARS (JANUAR 2016 – DECEMBER 2020)
MAIN APPLICANT: YOUTH COMMUNICATION CENTER BANJA LUKA (SEEYN member organization)
PARTNERS: SEEYN SECRETARIAT (BIH), EDUCATIONAL CENTER KRUSEVAC, VOJVODINA ENVIRONMENTAL MOVEMENT (SRB), BEYOND BARRIERS (ALB), LENS (KOS), TOG (TURKEY), YCC-BITOLA (MAC), RESOURCE CENTER TUZLA (BIH), FORUM MNE (MNE), WAR TRAUMA CENTAR (SRB), PROGRESS (MAC), INTERCULTURALE ZENTRUM (AUS), MOVIT NA MLADINA (SLO), YOUTH PEACE GROUP DANUBE (CRO), ZAMAH FOUNDATION (CRO), INSTITUTE FOR SOCIAL RESEARCH (CRO).
SEEYN MEMBERS INVOLVED: 8 out of 24
Why? (project background)
Currently there is increasing number of conflicts inside and between the countries of WB and Turkey as well as their neighbouring countries, what is usually based on ethnics and religions. In all documents that deal with peace and reconciliation policy at regional level, civil society is recognize as a main policy actor, but through wide consultation process that we did in last 2 years, we face fact that peace and reconciliation (P&R) topic in last 7-8 years became kind of “unpopular” in WB and Turkey. Civil society limited activism in this field and start to work on EU and NATO integration that become mainstream topics. This happened because of 4 main reasons:
- most of the post-conflict donators that start to invest in reconciliation left the countries what reflect on CSO sustainability and increasing level of the CSOs competitiveness for limited funds,
- ongoing process of transitional justice was not well accepted and welcomed by citizens of the region but was initiated and putted on political Agenda by civil society (one of CSOs biggest achievements in this policy); polarisation happened thanks to wider non-affirmative public campaign through Medias and continuous political populism and exploitation of this topic in daily politic rhetoric that have to blur current unacceptable soci-economic situation of citizens in the region; these facts still influence decreasing number of CSOs active in reconciliation field,
- civil society becomes fragmented and contested. Limited funds and political climate at Western Balkan and Turkey countries influence strong interest – based as well ethnical fragmentation of civil sector where usually priority was given to promotion of national instead of transnational or inter-ethnic activism. CSO work in P&R field is often not welcomed by their governments but in many cases they are also judged by their colleagues and citizens because of hard straight – forward approach they have in advocating for transitional justice,
- Currently there is lack of grass-root organization which are main actors and promoters of bottom – up approach in the implementation of reconciliation policy which working on interpersonal reconciliation on local level.
Overall objective - CSOs recognized by governments as an important societal factor with strong capacity to implement peace-building and reconciliation Agenda in the WB and Turkey and contributes to security and stability of the region in the process of EU integration,
Specific objective - CSO strengthened regional cooperation and capacities in order to increase credibility, political participation and effectiveness in advocating prevention of radicalization and facilitation of inter-ethnic dialog in the region of WB and Turkey through implementation of cross-stakeholder’s approach that will foster societal reconstruction.
- CSO platform established operational “Regional Social Lab for peace and reconciliation” to develop effective cross-stakeholder approach for advocating societal reconstruction in the region of WB and Turkey;
- CSOs from the region improved and strengthened internal capacities in order to effectively advocate for reconciliation action in WB and Turkey towards 4 main stakeholder groups – CSOs, public institutions, business and citizens;
- CSOs fostering stakeholder dialog in/across the region of WB and Turkey and advocating for effective, sustainable and independent supportive mechanism for implementation of the peace-building and reconciliation policy.
Researches, advocacy, innovating and testing social innovations, capacity building activities, creation of the business model, stakeholder dialog and partnership establishment
European union through European Commission
CALL: EuropeAid Call for regional thematic Associations
LOT: PEACE AND RECONCILIATION